My family and I are vegetarians. It started out as an experiment, but has become a way of life for us. My one-year-old will not even eat meat; seriously, he will throw it at you if you try to give it to him. I have also loved cooking my entire life, and our dietary restrictions definitely were not about to change my desire or ability to make magic in the kitchen.
That being said, I made this recipe vegetarian style, but you can use real meat to make these delicious burritos as well. They were easy and quick to make, plus all three of my children loved them, score! These have definitely become a staple in my household.
1 package of vegan chicken strips (I use Morning Star Farms) or 2 cups of cooked shredded chicken
1 packet of chicken taco seasoning
1.5 cups of mexican cheese
1.5 large avocados, diced
3 tablespoons of chopped cilantro
4 burrito size tortillas
6 tablespoons of sour cream
oil (to warm tortillas)
- Cook the vegan chicken strips according to the instructions on the bag. Mix the chicken with the chicken taco seasoning while you are cooking them (or before you place in the microwave if you choose to use that method of cooking them). You can cut the chicken strips into smaller pieces if you’d like.
If you are using real chicken you would need to cook the chicken with the seasoning and then shred it afterwards.
2. Mix the chicken, cheese, cilantro, and the avocados.
3. Spread the sour cream on each individual tortilla. You can put as much or as little as you like.
4. Place 1/4 of the mixture inside the burrito. Be sure not to overstuff, as you want to leave enough room to roll the burrito.
5. Heat one tablespoon of oil in a pan. Once the oil is warm, place the burritos in the plan. Cook them on medium heat on each side for about two minutes until they are golden brown. (This step is optional)
These burritos are great served with rice, especially spanish rice and/ or some veggies. Try them out and drop a comment to let me know what you think.